Newcastle NSW is one of the top regional locations for professionals seeking a balance between a challenging career and an idyllic lifestyle. Known for its bustling café and beach culture, the city is on the doorstep of Port Stephens and the world-famous Hunter Valley wine region.
The second busiest airport in the state, Newcastle Airport is jointly owned by the City of Newcastle and Port Stephens Council, and it is Australia’s largest airport remaining in public ownership, with all distributions returned to the communities which it serves. With a steadfast vision to be the airport the region deserves; Newcastle Airport plays a central role in the region continuing to flourish and achieve its full potential.
On Friday 6th May 2021, The Prime Minster of Australia, The Hon. Scott Morrison announced an investment of $66 million into upgrading Newcastle Airport to Code E status. This will allow wide-bodied, long-haul aircraft to fly in and out of Williamtown, connecting the rest of the world to the people and businesses of the Hunter, Central Coast and Northern NSW.
In May 2020, the NSW Government named Williamtown as the location for a new Special Activation Precinct (SAP), recognising its significance and importance to the region as a key economic driver. At the heart of the SAP, adjacent to the Airport and RAAF Base Williamtown lies Astra Aerolab , a globally significant Defence and Aerospace precinct being developed by Newcastle Airport. To date It has secured significant investment and support from all levels of government and is set to ultimately deliver 5,500 new jobs and global connectivity, providing access to world-leading education and learning, remarkable spaces and experiences.
Reporting directly into the CEO, the Chief of Staff will act as a trusted advisor and strategic thought partner to the CEO and Executive Team.
A core responsibility of the position will be driving the strategic planning process, as well as identifying and providing the systems and support the business and CEO require to ensure key deliverables are achieved to deliver on the strategy and vision of Newcastle Airport.
Importantly, the Chief of Staff will act as an “enabler” to ensure the seamless management and prioritisation of the CEO’s schedule, increasing the CEOs productivity and allowing increased capacity for additional strategic focus.
To be successful in this position you will need to be a strong, organised and collaborative leader who sets high standards, sees the big picture yet is comfortable with detail and can connect the dots for others.
- Work closely with the CEO to drive the development of strategic business plans and objectives, ensuring that they are aligned with Newcastle Airports vision, values and master plan.
- Act as a key point of contact for internal enquiries relating to the strategic priorities of the business.
- Maintain intra and extra organisational awareness/engagement and ensure the CEO is briefed on key priority matters.
- Oversee the status of all strategic objectives and associated reporting to ensure priorities are clear including corporate reporting.
- Work with the HR team on people and culture strategies, to help create a high-performance culture aligned to the strategic vision, and help ensure issues are appropriately addressed, particularly as it relates to the Executive Team.
- In collaboration with the HR team, create and implement professional development strategies for the Executive Team and the CEO; to improve leadership skills, team cohesion and overall effectiveness.
- Support and manage (where required) internal Executive meetings and workshops.
- Follow up on progress of action items agreed in Executive meetings.
- Assist in managing relationships with politicians, commercial clients, government agencies and community-based organisations to expand and further develop Newcastle Airport’s agenda to meet strategic objectives.
- Act as a point of contact and coordination when the CEO is away on business.
The Successful Candidate
- Degree qualified in Business and/ or Communications or similar.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in a leadership (support role), providing senior counsel to company executives.
- Demonstrated experience with executing and leading strategic initiatives, and ensuring objectives are achieved.
- Proven experience coordinating and directing multiple teams and divisions.
- A versatile leader, dedicated to efficient productivity and action orientated.
- Proven track record of effectively interacting and developing strong working relationships
- Strong decision making, analytical, problem solving and conflict resolutions skills.
- Strong report writing, analysis skills and budget management.
Working as part of the Newcastle Airport team, you will enjoy a friendly, flexible, and supportive environment, within a highly reputable, award-winning organisation that is about to enter its next growth journey. In addition, you will have access to a range of benefits, such as flexible work practices, paid parental leave, additional personal / carers leave, corporate fitness program and health and wellbeing initiatives. Newcastle Airport is also a proud Ambassador for Mentally Healthy Workplaces through SafeWork NSW.
This recruitment is through Monica Clare Recruitment. View the job vacancy here.