Nestled between the picturesque Port Stephens, Lake Macquarie and the Hunter Valley (wine country), Newcastle is only a 2.5-hour drive north of Sydney.
Known for its stunning beaches, nature reserves, cafés and boutique bars, Newcastle is rapidly becoming a popular choice for professionals looking for the ideal lifestyle, where you can strike the perfect balance between the perks of city life and a more relaxed, beachside community.
Newcastle Airport is the second busiest airport in the state. It is jointly owned by the City of Newcastle and Port Stephens Council, and it is Australia’s largest airport remaining in public ownership, with all distributions returned to the communities which it serves.
Newcastle Airport is a dynamic enabler of the aspirations and operations of the businesses and communities within the region. It is a global transport gateway, providing vital infrastructure for the region, supporting the tourism, import and export economies within Australia and internationally.
In the last year, the airport has secured more than $60M in Federal funding for an upgraded international airfield. It has connected to 6 new destinations, including Cairns and Adelaide, with Singapore now in sight. It has expanded its world class Defence and Aerospace precinct, brought forward major works on its 2036 Masterplan and was recently named 2021 Major Airport of the Year.
In May 2020, the NSW Government named Williamtown as the location for a new special Activation Precinct. The Astra Aerolab is being developed as a globally significant Defence and Aerospace precinct adjacent to the Airport and RAAF Base Williamtown. It has secured significant investment and support from all levels of government and is set to ultimately deliver 5,500 new jobs and global connectivity, providing access to world-leading education and learning, remarkable spaces and experiences.
The Financial Accountant's role is to provide efficient and accurate financial and management accounting, support internal and external reporting, project and fixed asset accounting, ensure compliance with statutory and legislative requirements, and contribute to the continuous improvement of the Airport's finance function.
Your key accountabilities and responsibilities will include;
- Undertake monthly and annual accounting processes through preparation of accounting entries and reconciliations.
- Transactionally manage the project and fixed asset function in accordance with accounting policies, procedures, and Australian Accounting Standards.
- Support the management of projects in the Technology One ERP system and ensure project transactions are processed in an accurate and efficient manner.
- Prepare sound financial and operational reporting.
- Support the finance function in through the annual placement of insurance, Fringe Benefits Tax compliance and annual statutory audit.
- Assist in the maintenance and development of the Technology One ERP system, in line with internal strategy.
- Contribute the development of policies and procedures.
At Newcastle Airport our team culture is highly valued, and you will embody our company values of Trust, Engaged, Committed, Accountable and Results Driven. We are looking for an outstanding individual with a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting / Commerce or Business who can demonstrate 1-3 years’ experience within a similar finance role.
You are highly organised with excellent analytical and problem-solving skills. You have the ability to work to tight deadlines, prioritise multiple tasks and be proactive and self-motivated. You are a confident communicator with excellent stakeholder management skills.
Being naturally inquisitive, you will be a great problem solver and have a focus on continuous improvement and process improvements. You will have a high degree of ownership, self-initiative and will operate with positivity, honesty, and openness.
Qualifications and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting / commerce or business.
- 1 to 3 years’ experience in financial accounting in a medium sized business.
- Strong technical accounting knowledge including an understanding of the application accounting standards.
- Intermediate or advanced skills in Microsoft Excel and a high level of skill in other software applications.
- Experience in using ERP systems.
- Experience in development and maintenance of Technology One ERP system.
- Graduate Diploma in Chartered Accountancy / Certified Practicing Accounting (or working towards)
- Experience in infrastructure sector or similar capital-intensive business.
Working as part of the team at Newcastle Airport, you play a pivotal role in shaping and executing our organisational strategy, to help us be the Airport the region deserves.
Complementing an attractive salary package, you will enjoy a friendly, flexible and supportive environment, within a highly reputable, Award-winning organisation.
In addition, you will have access to a range of benefits, such as flexible work practices, generous leave entitlements, corporate fitness program and health and wellbeing initiatives. Newcastle Airport is also a proud Ambassador for Mentally Healthy Workplaces through SafeWork NSW.
How to Apply
To learn more about key responsibilities, company culture and associated benefits of this opportunity, please contact Katy Van Maastricht at firstname.lastname@example.org
Alternatively click here to submit your covering letter and CV.
Part time applications accepted, minimum 3 days per week
Closing date: Friday April 15 2022
To be considered for this position, you must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 plus recommended booster vaccinations, which is an ongoing condition of employment.