Monica Clare Recruitment are proud to be partnering with Newcastle Airport to offer an unmissable opportunity to join an in-house marketing team that’s making a real difference to our local community and economy.
The Airport has bold aspirations and they are looking for an equally ambitious Marketing and Communications Manager. They will play a key role in supporting the airport’s rapid growth path and delivering on its long-term vision for the region.
As Marketing and Communications Manager, you will lead a dynamic team that will help change our region for the better, connecting it to the rest of the world and driving the city’s global aspirations. You will have the ability to think strategically and manage multi-faceted projects and relationships. You will provide well considered recommendations and plans using your exceptional communication and influencing skills, all the while using your interpersonal savvy and keen knowledge of the marketing landscape to tell the story of our airport, our people, and our region.
If you have a strategic mindset and are ready to lead a results-focussed team that work at pace, then this is a rare opportunity to join a like-minded, energetic, and fun team of professionals that feel exactly the same!
The second busiest airport in the state, servicing the seventh largest urban centre in Australia, Newcastle Airport is intent on delivering on its purpose of being the airport the region deserves. In doing so, it will play a central role in seeing the region achieve its full potential.
In May 2020, the NSW Government named Williamtown as the location for a new Special Activation Precinct (SAP), recognising its significance and importance to the region as a key economic driver. At the heart of the SAP, adjacent to the Airport and RAAF Base Williamtown lies Astra Aerolab, a globally significant Defence and Aerospace precinct being developed by Newcastle Airport. To date It has secured significant investment and support from all levels of government and is set to ultimately deliver 5,500 new jobs and global connectivity, providing access to world-leading education and learning, remarkable spaces and experiences.
On Friday 6th May 2021, The Prime Minster of Australia, The Hon. Scott Morrison announced an investment of $66 million into upgrading Newcastle Airport to Code E status. This will allow wide-bodied, long-haul aircraft to fly in and out of Williamtown, connecting the rest of the world to the people and businesses of the Hunter, Central Coast and Northern NSW.
Reporting to the Executive Manager of Corporate Affairs, the Marketing and Communications Manager is responsible for managing external and internal communications for the company.
A senior team member, they ensure Newcastle Airport effectively engages with key stakeholders (including media, community, local businesses etc.) and oversee strategic marketing, communications and engagement plans to achieve business targets.
With the support of a team of four, the Marketing and Communications Manager develops and implements all marketing and PR campaigns, manages key external relationships, oversees internal communications and works with internal clients to achieve their targets. This includes overseeing all electronic and print-based marketing material, writing media releases and reports to the highest standard, managing external agencies, driving advocacy efforts, and ensuring company employees are equipped with the necessary information and support to carry out their jobs effectively.
Key accountabilities and responsibilities
- Work closely with the Executive Manager Corporate Affairs to develop and drive strategic outcomes contained in the business plan
- Build strong working relationships with other members of the Executive team to ensure the Corporate Affairs team is delivering
- Develop and execute the annual Marketing and Communication strategies and associated spending, on time and on budget - including community engagement, sponsorship, website, social media, media and content strategy.
- Deliver the research agenda to ensure that business units have access to relevant and up to date market information.
- Oversee company events and sponsorships to achieve optimum impact.
- Assist Executive Manager Corporate Affairs to deliver government advocacy and engagement strategy.
- Manage and mentor team ensuring objectives, performance reviews and development plans are completed and regularly reviewed.
- Contribute to the development, achievement and review of the Business Plan
- Liaise with external agencies, government departments, and tourism on matters related to the Marketing and Communication Strategy.
- Manage all activities with a strong project management ethos, holding project team members accountable to deadlines and deliverables.
- Manage Newcastle Airport’s brand, ensuring consistent messaging and visual representation. In partnership with the Property and Commercial Team, implement marketing campaigns as required to deliver agreed commercial targets.
- Develop and implement cooperative marketing campaigns with airline partners, other airports, tourism and destination marketers in partnership with the Aviation Business Development Manager.
- During crisis situations (i.e. Airport Evacuation Procedure), manage media and digital channels, in consultation with the leadership team.
- Research, write and prepare applications, award and policy submissions, and thought leadership pieces to support Newcastle Airport’s ambitions and corporate objectives.
- Develop and manage a database of all key relationships important to the company’s growth and development.
- Develop and implement a community engagement program to enhance the company’s reputation and community understanding and acceptance of the airport’s role.
Qualifications and experience
- Degree in Communication, Marketing or Business.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong experience developing and implementing marketing and communication strategies.
- Experience working proactively with media.
- Strong project management and leadership skills.
- A minimum of five (5) years’ experience in similar role, including people management.
- Ability to rapidly acquire knowledge of NAPL business strategy, role, responsibilities, operations and systems.
- Understanding of government process, experience working with ministerial offices
- Extensive knowledge of MS Office and Adobe Creative Suite
Working as part of the Newcastle Airport team, you will enjoy a friendly, flexible, and supportive environment, within a highly reputable, award-winning organisation that is about to enter its next growth journey. You will receive an attractive salary package commensurate with your experience, and have access to a range of benefits, such as:
- Flexible/ hybrid work.
- Paid parental leave.
- Additional personal / carers leave.
- Corporate fitness program and health and wellbeing initiatives.
Newcastle Airport is also a proud Ambassador for Mentally Healthy Workplaces through SafeWork NSW.
As part of the application process we welcome you to write a cover letter outlining why you are the perfect fit for this role, please include this along with your application to be considered for an interview.
This recruitment is through Monica Clare Recruitment. View the job vacancy here.
For further information on this exciting role contact Monica Walmsley on 0499 041 222 or Jim Swinglehurst on 0499 443 433.