All international passengers are required to go through two security screening points, domestic security screening and then through international security screening.
- Once you've checked-in you'll proceed to the domestic security screening point. Your carry-on luggage will be x-ray screened and you’ll pass through a body scanner.
- You will need to empty your pockets and place any loose items such as coins, mobile phones and keys in your carry-on bag before arriving at the front of the screening line.
- Then remove any bulky clothing such as jackets or jumpers, and when directed place your jacket or jumper and carry-on bag in the tray provided.
- Newcastle Airport uses next generation security screening equipment that does not require you to remove laptops, mobile devices, belts, metal accessories and aerosols from your bag. Please ensure any aerosols have lockable lids.
- You can leave your powders, liquids and gels in your carry-on bag at this time.
- You may be asked to remove your shoes.
- At the international screening point you will be processed by an Australian Border Force security officer and then be required to proceed to the security screening point. You may also be randomly selected for a frisk search.
- You will need to show your passport, boarding pass and PLAGs - powders, liquids, aerosols and gels. All other items can remain in your carry-on bag.
Learn more about security at Newcastle Airport.
Powders, Liquids, Aerosols & Gels
- For all international flights any liquids, aerosols and gels over 100ml must be packed in your checked luggage.
- You can take liquids, aerosols and gels in your carry-on luggage only if they are in containers that are 100ml or less and are in a clear zip lock bag ready to be scanned at the international security check point.
- All powders must be presented separately.
- Inorganic powders must not exceed 350ml/350g and include items such as salt, sand, talcum powder, detergent powder and deodorant powder. Remember containers must not exceed 350ml.
- Organic powders have no restrictions. Examples include powdered baby formula, powdered food, coffee, protein powder, flour, spices and sugar.
Learn more about Security at Newcastle Airport, or read the Travelling with Powders, Liquids, Aerosols & Gels on International Information Flyer.