Prime Minister Anthony Albanese will be at Newcastle Airport for the official ground-breaking ceremony for the Terminal Expansion Project today.
The event marks the beginning of construction for the project, which will enhance the airport's capacity, efficiency, and overall user experience. Newcastle Airport CEO, Dr Peter Cock says the transformative construction project is a critical part of delivering the airport the region deserves.
“Aviation is a catalyst to our economy's growth and our region’s transition.
“Newcastle Airport is committed to growing the airport the region deserves. As the sixth largest economy in the country, the people of our region are passionately behind our airport and connecting the Hunter to the rest of the world.
“I would like to thank the Prime Minister and all the Albanese Government for their ongoing support and commitment to our vision for Newcastle Airport," Dr Cock said.
Dr Cock acknowledged the combined effort necessary to get the terminal expansion to this point.
“We want to sincerely thank our local member, Meryl Swanson, for her tireless efforts in advocating for our airport.
“Member for Newcastle, Sharon Claydon, and Member for Shortland, Pat Conroy, have also been very supportive and it’s great that they can attend the event today.
“We thank them, as well as our state MPs and local government representatives, for their ongoing support and advocacy for Newcastle Airport and the people of the Hunter.”
Member for Paterson Meryl Swanson, whose electorate encompasses the Newcastle Airport, said the terminal expansion will be transformational.
“We are getting on with the job of delivering on our $55 million election commitment to contribute to the upgrade of international terminal facilities at Newcastle Airport.
“The upgraded international terminal will be transformational for the whole Hunter region – for the aviation sector, for local tourism and for communities.”
Newcastle Airport’s Executive General Manager of Marketing and Communication, Burcak Sezar, says the Newcastle Airport team and Cox Architecture have worked closely with stakeholders to develop a terminal that is uniquely reflective of Newcastle and the Hunter.
“The design incorporates the sand dunes, our beaches, and the iconic Hunter Valley in the design and colours.
“The new terminal is also deliberately inclusive, from including the stories of the Worimi people, to welcoming people with disabilities.
“We want people in our airport to know they are in Newcastle Airport. We want the people of the Hunter to feel that this is our airport and use it with pride.
“And we’re confident this unique design achieves that and delivers a stress-free experience for passengers,” she said.
The sod-turning ceremony to start the construction project will take place today at Newcastle Airport.
- The Terminal has been designed by Cox Architecture.
- Construction Control was awarded the managing contract in April 2023.
- The terminal is due for completion in mid to late 2024.
- The $110 million project will include significant upgrades to the airport's existing terminal building, providing a world-class passenger experience for the region.
- Construction Control, a leading Australian construction company, was awarded the Newcastle Airport Terminal Upgrade contract in April 2023.
- This will be a complex build, continuing to deliver amazing customer experience for passengers whilst expanding our footprint by 50% and creating new arrivals and departure processes.
- The new terminal building has been designed to achieve a 5 star green star rating.
- The Newcastle Airport Terminal Expansion is expected to be completed mid to late 2024.
- The project is anticipated to create more than 500 construction jobs throughout its life and will provide long-term benefits for the region.
- The terminal and runway upgrade in total will create 4,410 jobs throughout the airport precinct after construction.
- Over the next 20 years, the upgrade and expansion of the runway and terminal will strengthen the region with approximately $12.7 billion in economic activity.
Watch our Terminal Expansion Fly Through Video